We were privileged to be a part of Riyadh Season opening this year which led us to work with one of the biggest Circus companies in the World, Cirque Du Soleil and Matane Productions. Our part was to deliver a boat that’s been converted from a Buggy.
All the control mechanism had to be rethought from scratch as the prop boat needed to act and feel like a boat. Steering wheel needed to be converted into a helm and the brake needed to be a part of the helm, which posed another challenge.
First we started with dismantling a brand new buggy carefully, while keeping all the electronics intact as we used it later. Once that was done, all that remained was the chassis with the motor and wheels. Another auxiliary chassis was designed from scratch and placed on top of it which acted as the base for the placements of all the plastic hollow sheets.
Once the auxiliary frame was bolted, it was time to place back all the other electronics. This is when we realized that the space we kept for the batteries were not enough and we forgot to make any additional space to keep all the electronics that drives the motor. After few hours of changing things here and there, we were able to fit everything in it. A motorcycle’s handle was used to act as an accelerator, which was placed at the tip of the helm. A 2 meter long metal wire was used to act as the conduit for the accelerator. Original accelerator was retrofitted to work with the handle. An extension arm was made and attached to the accelerator which pivoted from it’s place when the handle was twisted, resulting in acceleration. As for the brake, the brake wires were re-routed towards the helm too so pulling up the helm resulted in braking the buggy. Two lengthy wires were bolted near each front wheel, which in turn connected to the helm, twisting the helm sideways made the wheels turn.
Biggest issue that we faced was during it’s delivery to KSA, the boat ended up getting damaged from multiple places during transportation from Dubai to Riyadh. Battery tray broke down, which caused them to hang and the accelerator wire broke off from the pivot point. Luckily we had our Welder and Automation Engineer on site, and with their help we were able to fix up the boat.
Although there were multiple issues during the lifespan of this project, we had faith in our team to execute and delivery on time. With all the talented people at Evolution, we believe that we can do the impossible.